inetutils-1.5-2 test release

Tue Mar 18 18:48:00 GMT 2008

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 18 12:32, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> This is odd. ftpd works for me
>>   1) on XP SP2, where inetd is installed as a service on its own,
>>   running under the local system account
>>   2) on XP SP2, where inetd is installed as a service using cygrunsrv,
>>   running under the local system account
>>   3) on XP SP2, where inetd is invoked via sysvinit's init process
>>   (/etc/rc.d/inetd), and were init is running under the local system
>>   account
>>
>> However, ftpd does not work if inetd is running under
>> sshd_server/cyg_server/other_privileged_user -- so I assume it will not
>> yet work under vista.  But that issue is not a regression, AFAICT. What
>> are the details of your installation?
>
> That is a regression, afaics.  The privileged account needs the specific
> user privileges to change the user context, but if it has these
> privileges, it should behave not different than when running under the
> SYSTEM account in earlier versions of Windows.  The old ftpd doesn't test
> the uid for being any fixed value.

ftp was the worst as far as porting changes from 1.3.2-X to 1.5. LOTS of
stuff. It is entirely possible that I (a) missed something in forward
porting old modifications, or (b) there was some new code in 1.5 that
needed modification and I missed that.

That's why this is a test release. It works for me, but I've only got
the one computer (* okay, I just got a vista machine last week, but I
haven't even tried to install cygwin on it. Reading the horror stories...)

> Same for inetd.

Right. I had no issues with inetd *itself*, running under the cyg_server
(or sshd_server) account. It was (some of) the slave daemons that were
troublesome -- but not all.  telnetd works (for me), for instance.  I
remember that at least one of the r* cmds worked (for me), too -- except
that unless LocalServer, .rhosts were not honored.

> Uh, no.  the old rshd has this in the code:
>
>   #ifdef __CYGWIN__
> 	  uid_t ROOT_UID = getuid ();
>   #else
> 	  ROOT_UID	(0)