FAQ suggestion

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Mar 19 00:16:00 GMT 2008

>  You somehow managed to get part of the message while tanking on the rest.

OK, how's this look:

Q. I want to bundle Cygwin with a product, and ship it to customer
sites.  How can I do this without conflicting with any Cygwin
installed by the user?

A.  Cygwin is not designed for this.  Please don't try.
Third party developers who wish to use Cygwin should check if
there is a version of cygwin installed and use the installed
version if it is a newer, or conditionally upgrade if it is not.
If someone wrote a nice utility for doing this type of checking,
the Cygwin developers would be happy to put it somewhere on
the Cygwin site.

>  Yes, I know.  It's horribly inconvenient for those people who really
>  want to make a buck by bundling this totally free software with their
>  apps.  And, maybe the 3PP just wants one or two cygwin utilities and
>  what's the big deal and *you* made the changes to the source and
>  everything (seemed to) work just fine and maybe it's time to think about
>  this because it's been a "problem" for so long and cygwin will die a
>  horrible screaming painful death if something isn't done very soon.

Oh, c'mon, don't hold back; how do you really feel about it?
- Dan