Cygwin problems under Vista

Vinod Gupta vinod@Princeton.EDU
Thu Mar 20 19:51:00 GMT 2008

I see that quite a few people have experienced problems running cygwin
and applications like XFree86 server under Windows Vista. We have been
using Cygwin under XP for may years and would love to continue using it
under Vista. I will appreciate suggestions to the following questions:

1) Some people have suggested running rebaseall under ash. I tried it
and it helps. Shall I be required to rebaseall every time there are new
versions of DLLs released? Why not make it a part of cygwin installer?

2) It seems there is no reliable fix for XFree86 and people have
suggested Xming which works fine for me. While XFree86 was integrated
with Cywin's main installer which was a huge advantage. Is there any way
to replace XFree86 by Xming so that only Xming packages are
installed/updated.

Vinod