widely-spaced characters in rxvt

Daniel Barclay daniel@fgm.com
Mon May 12 21:38:00 GMT 2008

René Berber wrote:
> Daniel Barclay wrote:
>
>> What causes rxvt to switch to displaying characters with lots of space
>> in between them?
>
> The font it's using.
>
>> I heard that there's some interaction between X11-mode rxvt setup and
>> plain-window
>> rxvt setup.  I don't think I've installed any X11 libraries, servers,
>> or even
>> fonts since rxvt was working right, but now rxvt is acting up again.
>
> You have to check what's the default font [1] or if you changed it [2].

Damn!  It just changed again.

The main question question is why it keeps changing when I running the CygWin
installer even though I don't (as far as I know) touch its font settings or
touch the installer settings for which fonts are installed.

How do I get it to behave consistently (well, consistently with a good font,
rather than consistentl with a bad font).

Daniel