please help

Wed May 14 20:20:00 GMT 2008

Longyu Mei wrote:
> Great! I see friends are here now.
>
> Let me tell you the entire story.
>
> We have a Linux application without any GUI. We used
> ACE (for socket) and boost for portability. It is a
> product now. We did not build it on Windows before
> even we plan to do that. Now we try too see if we can
> build and run it on Windows machine.
>
> I did a little research and then decided try CygWin
> first. I used the setup to download and install
> CygWin. I copy the entire project tree from source
> control onto my XP machine.
>
> Then I start the CygWin by click the Cygwin icon and
> cd to my source directory and tried "make clean" as I
> did on Linux machine.
>
> The first two lines are the error messages I mentioned
> on my previous email.
>
> I did do any system environment variable configuration
> which is not required.
>
> The issue is why that librt.so is required and why
> there is no such file under the installation. I have
> installed ALL packages.

Shared objects are a *nix manifestation.  The closest thing
on Windows is dynamic link libraries (DLL).  There are
significant differences in these two concepts though so
if you're app is relying on the existence and semantics
of SOs, you're in for a long, difficult port to Windows.
Cygwin won't magically massage this away for you.

Holliston, MA 01746