problem with cygwin and GLUT on Vista

Michael McGuffin michael.mcguffin@etsmtl.ca
Tue Nov 4 13:33:00 GMT 2008

Hello,

I'm using cygwin on Vista, and have a problem running C++ code that
contains calls to GLUT routines.  I've isolated the problem down to a
very simple piece of code, and have searched the web without being able
to find help.

Note that I have packages opengl 1.1.0-8, freeglut 2.4.0-1, and gcc-g++
3.4.4-3, and "uname -a" outputs
CYGWIN_NT-6.0 opticon-w 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686 Cygwin

Here's the problem, as best as I can isolate it.  If I create a file
called main.cpp containing the following code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <GL/glut.h>

int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) {
   if ( argc > 100 ) {
      // glutInit( &argc, argv );
      glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
   }
   char str[100];
   printf("Enter a string:");
   scanf("%s",str);
}

and then I compile it with

   g++ -o main main.cpp -lm -lglut32 -lglu32 -lopengl32

and then run the code without any arguments, it runs fine (note that the
call to glClear() never happens). However, if I uncomment the call to
the glutInit() routine and comment the glClear() call,

#include <stdio.h>
#include <GL/glut.h>

int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) {
   if ( argc > 100 ) {
      glutInit( &argc, argv );
      // glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
   }
   char str[100];
   printf("Enter a string:");
   scanf("%s",str);
}

and compile the same way and run again without any arguments, Windows
Vista gives me an error message with the following details:

Nom d'événement de problème:            APPCRASH
Nom de l'application:                   main.exe
Version de l'application:               0.0.0.0
Horodatage de l'application:            49103229
Nom du module par défaut:               ntdll.dll
Version du module par défaut:           6.0.6001.18000
Version du module par défaut:           4791a7a6
Code de l'exception:                    c0000022
Décalage de l'exception:                00009cac
Version du système:                     6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.4
Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 3084
etc.

Note, again, that the call to glutInit() never happens.  I suspect that
simply linking with GLUT somehow causes a problem, perhaps in some
initialization of GLUT.

Note that I have tried running the main.exe as "administrator" (by right
clicking on main.exe and choosing the "run as administrator" option from
the right-click menu), and I get the same error message as when I try
running main.exe from a cygwin shell prompt.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

--
Michael McGuffin, Assistant Professor
Department of Software and IT Engineering