cygwin 1.5.25-15: cwrsync 2.1.3 "hangs" when 80 mb of 100 gb data network folder is to be transmitted

Evgeniy _oiler_@mail.ru
Mon Nov 10 21:07:00 GMT 2008

Hello,

At main office we have a data storage server with a ~100 Gb folder of data which is daily updated on about 80 Mb. These updated 80 Mb of data should be daily synchronized to a remote data storage at branch office via rsync. rsync client is installed on a workstation at the branch office and cygwin 1.5.25-15 sshd service is installed on a workstation at the main office. The synchronized data storage folders are available to these workstations as network drives. These ~100 Gb folders of data contain a lot of 0,5 - 2 Mb sized files which are pdfs and picture scans. rsync works perfectly on smaller volumes of data, when we transmit, for example, 100 Mb of these files. But when we try to transmit all the 100 Gb folder in which we have only 80 Mb of new files and the rest of the files are identical by name, size and modification time to destination folder files, we got rsync somewhat "hung".

The following cmd file is used to run rsync at the branch workstation:

rsync -Wvrt --ignore-existing --progress -e "ssh.exe -i C:\id_dsa" user@mainoffice:/x/ /cygdrive/z/

where x - is an attached network drive ~100 Gb folder of the data storage at the main office,
z - is an attached network drive ~100 Gb folder of the data storage at the branch office.

During the execution rsync tells "receiving incremental file list" and then it "hangs" - it doesn't update this incremental file list. After 14 hours of transmission according to a transmission log it transferred only two files of 0 bytes total size.

So the question is what is wrong? I can't beleive that rsync can't handle with such a big volume of data when it is necessary to transmit only a small part of it.

Any ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.