Make program find its dll:s

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de
Tue Nov 18 12:12:00 GMT 2008

Quoting Eric Lilja <mindcooler@gmail.com>:

> Hi Tomás and thanks for the quick reply. I tried setting
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH using $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/dll-files (and then
> checking with
> $ echo LD_LIBRARY_PATH that it "stuck"), but the process still cannot
> find the DLL files. I am starting the process with strace so I am sure
> this is the problem, not something else. I guess I could temporarily
> modify the PATH but I'm interested in alternatives.

Although this is nothing specific to Cygwin: If you want to make the
variable value available to processes which are executed subsequently,
you need to export the variable, not just set it, as in:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/dll-files

Alternatively, set the variable in the command line like this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/dll-files foo

assuming that "foo" is the command to start the app which requires the dll.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka