1.7 - noacl for cygdrive

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Tue Nov 18 23:02:00 GMT 2008

On 11/18/2008 7:18 AM, Richard Ivarson wrote:
> So it's not just me having massive problems with the NT permissions
> which are being messed up by Cygwin tools like rsync. Actually most
> Cygwin users should see these problems, I guess, because Windows 2000
> and XP use NTFS. I can't use rsync anymore, because the permissions
> of the destination are all wrong after rsync resets them... Oh what a
> pity!

I use rsync all the time with Cygwin and don't have problems with
permissions, because I set "nontsec" in the CYGWIN environment variable
as necessary when I want the Windows permissions to be used.

For example, if I'm copying from a remote server to my local server, I'd
do this:

% CYGWIN=nontsec rsync -r remote:/path .

If I'm copying to a remote Cygwin box and I want to use the default
permissions on the remote box, I use this:

% rsync -r --rsync-path="CYGWIN=nontsec rsync" ./ remote:/path

> The "-perms" (-p) option I don't use.

Another option that can be useful is the --chmod option in rsync. I use
this with --perms when I'm copying from a Cygwin box to a unix box. (You
don't want to use "nontsec" if you use this.)

Bennett's Laws of Horticulture:
         (1) Houses are for people to live in.
         (2) Gardens are for plants to live in.
         (3) There is no such thing as a houseplant.