Password authentication keeps kicking in on SSH client connection attempt.

Wed Nov 19 14:02:00 GMT 2008

On Nov 15 10:57, tyrone donnelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The password authentication keeps kicking in on SSH client connection attempt.
>
> I know this question has been asked a zillion times. It seems that
> each problem becomes unique to specific builds,
> or new releases. I hope this is a simple solution, even if I feel dumb
> afterwards, I will learn and pass the information on :)
>
> I am currently running a Windows virtual 2003 64 bit server.
>
> I have installed the latest version of cygwin, as of today, and
> successfully connected to my own hostname over ssh using
> a public ssh rsa type2 key, after a hell of a headache I might add.
>
> I have checked the permissions on my home and /.ssh directories on
> both host and client but could use some advice on these
> (please see below)
>
> CLIENT
>
> $ ls -ld $HOME
> drwx------+ 17 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0 Nov 14 15:46 /cygdrive/c (THIS APPEARS
> TO BE MY C:)

So you didn't read the user's manual?

> $ ls -l /.ssh

Do you mean ~/.ssh aka $HOME/.ssh?  /.ssh doesn't have a meaning for
users.

> total 6
> -rw--w--w- 1 DonnellT Users  403 Nov 14 13:56 authorized_keys (THIS IS
> A DOMAIN USER AND DOESNT APPEAR IN THE PASSWD FILE LOCALLY)

Which won't work.  sshd relies on the information given in /etc/passwd.
mkpasswd -d is your friend!

> -rw--w--w- 1 DonnellT Users 1675 Nov 14 13:56 id_rsa
> -rw--w--w- 1 DonnellT Users  403 Nov 14 13:56 id_rsa.pub

This is really bad.  sshd refuses files with write permissions for
others for security reasons.  Also make sure the user's home dir as well
as ~/.ssh have strict permissions and don't allow writing to group and
others.

Corinna

Red Hat