1.7 - noacl for cygdrive

Richard Ivarson RiIvarson@gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 01:48:00 GMT 2008

Christopher Faylor schrieb:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 08:35:04AM -0700, Rob Bosch wrote:
>>> Rob, many thanks for your reply.
>>> So it's not just me having massive problems with the NT permissions which
>> are
>>> being messed up by Cygwin tools like rsync. Actually most Cygwin users
>> should
>>> see these problems, I guess, because Windows 2000 and XP use NTFS.
>>> I can't use rsync anymore, because the permissions of the destination are
>> all wrong after rsync resets them... Oh what a pity!
>>
>> Rsync will work fine with 1.5.25.  Just set the global NTSEC (see
>> http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html).  You have to set this
>> variable in your system environment so that any process spawned gets it,
>> especially if you are running rsync as a service.  If you are scripting it,
>> add it in your cmd file.
>
> ntsec is the *default* and has been for some time.  There is no reason to set
> it.

Yes, Rob meant for us RSYNC users: set CYGWIN=NONTSEC
... because NTSEC (the default) causes much trouble with the NT permissions
on RSYNC'ed files. A web search shows that _many_ people run into these
problems. So maybe for RSYNC the default NTSEC isn't a good idea. I'm on edge
how Cygwin 1.7 solves or rather handles this problem.

-Richard