nearly all postinstall scripts segfaulting in 64bit Windows (XP + Vista)

Lonni J Friedman netllama@gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 07:42:00 GMT 2008

Greetings,
I'm attempting to setup a build environment, which happens to require
cygwin.  I ran into no problems getting this up with 32bit Windows XP,
however for both WINXP64 and VISTA64, the cygwin installation blows up
badly while running all of the postinstall scripts (in
/etc/postinstall).  Nearly all of them are segfaulting.

For example, if I attempt to run /etc/postinstall/bash.sh manually, it
churns for a few seconds, and then dies with the following output:
11 [main] bash 1644 +_cygtls::handle_exceptions: Error while dumping
state ( probably a corrupted stack)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

The only potential oddity in this equation is that my Windows (both 32
& 64bit) installations are inside of Xen (running on a Linux system).

I'm at a complete loss on how to debug this at this point.  Any and
all suggestions are gratefully accepted.