Run OpenSSH service with Local System Account

Fri Nov 21 12:59:00 GMT 2008

William Zhang wrote:
> Thank you Larry! Please see my comment below.
>
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> <blah-blah-blah> wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.
>> Why do you believe that you can set this Local System Account to interact
>> with the desktop but not cyg_server?
>
> In the Windows Services property Log On page, we have two option for
> the service to run as:
> One is to use Local System Account.  When this option is selected, you
> have the "allow service to interact with desktop" enabled.
> The second option is to use an account you specified but "allow
> service to interact with desktop" option is disabled when it is
> selected.

Ah yes.  I've gotten so used to the '-i' or 'cygrunsrv', which
'ssh-host-config' uses to configure the 'sshd' service that I forgot that
the check box isn't there in the GUI for any other user.  Regardless,
you can add it to 'ssh-host-config' if you want. Of course, this ability
is disabled in Vista and Longhorn according to 'cygrunsrv' so I don't
think this will help for 2008 (and maybe 2003?)

>> By this you mean specifically what?  Perhaps you should provide the
>> output you get and/or you should run 'ssh -v -v -v' to get some insight
>> as to where it chokes.
>
> When the ssh-host-config script ask if i want to create a cyg_server
> user, I answer no so it defaults to use the system local account.
> Below are the debug output and it failed at
> ssh_exchange_identification. I guess the cyg_server account is used to
> handle ssh_exchange_identification on windows 2003.

cyg_server is the account used to start services, 'sshd' in this case.
It has no direct association to ssh_exchange_identificatton.

> Can I work around
> this with the local system account?

Authentication hasn't started yet so I doubt the account makes much
difference.  But I see nothing wrong with trying it.  My guess is
you're going to need to start a debug server session to get better
insight.  At least that's what I would do.

> $ ssh -v -v -v localhost
> OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8h 28 May 2008
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
> debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: identity file /home/root/.ssh/identity type -1
> debug1: identity file /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
> debug1: identity file /home/root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
>
>> If you don't care about using pubkey authetication and are fine with
>> typing in your Windows password each time you invoke 'ssh', you should
>> be able to use the Local System Account.
>
> I don't want any user interaction during the automation test. Can the
> password be provided automatically?

No.  That's why there's public key.

Holliston, MA 01746