Bash process hangs around forever after ssh disconnect

Michael Hipp Michael@Hipp.com
Mon Nov 24 12:46:00 GMT 2008

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> That's the Windows/Cygwin emulation of a Unix fork. Should be the same
> as on Linux.

I know that. I was pointing out that sshd goes away as expected but bash does not.

> Please read again what I wrote and try to understand it.

Ok, I have re-read it and don't find anything that I failed to understand.
Even on the 2nd or 3rd readings.

> In all
> likelihood you do NOT want sshd to kill your shell because you loose
> connection for a while. Let me repeat: you do NOT want that.

Really? Should I call Red Hat, SUSE, Debian and Ubuntu and all the others and
tell them they've been doing it wrong all these years? That's *exactly* how
every Linux I've ever used works.

> You want
> the ability to reconnect to that session once the physical connection is
> reestablished. "screen" gives you that ability.

I know about "screen". I use it regularly. But screen is off-topic. Unless
there is some way screen can re-connect to a dangling bash session; I thought
screen could only re-connect to screen. If it has that ability I'd like to be
educated to it.

Some days ago I brought up a GUI session to a remote W2k3 box, ran task
manager and almost fell out of my chair to see bash.exe listed nearly a dozen
times. I thought the thing had been rooted or something.

Surely there is some actual solution to this. It works splendidly on Linux.
And when I am doing something critical that doesn't need to be interrupted,
then our mutual friend "screen" is always there waiting.

Can anyone offer some help? Please?

Thanks,
Michael