Rsync on two WinXP Machines: how?

Herb Maeder maeder-cygml@maeder.org
Wed Oct 15 17:17:00 GMT 2008

On 14 Oct 2008 12:57:43 +0200, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> try with
> starting  sshd service and connect with
>
> rsync --rsh=ssh ...

Though it should be noted that with cygwin-1.5, rsync to a cygwin machine
running sshd will hang on transferring large directories.  For example,
(from some directory not in /usr):

    rsync -va localhost:/usr/ usr.copy

will probably show the problem.  See this thread for more details:

   http://www.sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-04/msg00863.html

But since the problem was rooted in the pipe implementation for 1.5, it is
pretty likely that it is already fixed in cygwin-1.7.  In fact, the above
test now works for me on a WinXP machine running sshd on cygwin-1.7.

Unfortunately, I'm not having much success in getting the cygwin-1.7 sshd
to work on Vista yet...

Herb.