Cygwin not installing

Thu Oct 30 23:00:00 GMT 2008

Corrin Meyer wrote:
> I updated by Cygwin install today and when I launched the cygwin bash
> shell I got the following message...
>
> Huh?  No /etc/fstab file in \??\C:\cygwin\etc\fstab.d\CorrinMeyer?

<snip>

> In fact the entire directory /usr/bin does not exist.  Instead, it
> seems all the files that were suppose to be installed to /usr/bin/
> where installed to /bin.  Even the cygwin1.dll, if memory serves, is
> usually installed in /usr/bin but I found it in /bin instead.

'/usr/bin' and '/usr/lib' are just mounts to '/bin' and '/lib'.
Always have been.  There's nothing new here.  You're suffering
from a missing '/etc/fstab' with 1.7.

> Opening
> the properties of the cygwin1.dll from the Windows File Explorer
> indicates a version number of 1007.0.0.0 and a file version 1.7.0.
>
> Running 'cygcheck -c' from the Cygwin bash shell lists many packages
> with a status of 'Incomplete' including the 'cygwin' package which is
> listed as version 1.7.0-31.
>
> I know that Cygwin 1.7 was released accidentally some time ago to the
> mirrors but was then reverted.  The Cygwin front page indicates that
> 1.5.25-15 is the latest release.  Has 1.7 actually been released or is
> something else going on?

No, it hasn't been released.  But it is showing up under the 'release'
tree on cygwin.com.  So you'll have to rerun 'setup.exe' and
select the 1.5.25-15 version to get yourself righted.  Chris will
need to set this straight on cygwin.com.

Holliston, MA 01746