Limited regex support in newlib cripples syntax highlighting in nano

Lapo Luchini lapo@lapo.it
Tue Sep 2 06:18:00 GMT 2008

Reini Urban wrote:
> 2008/8/1 Tomi Belan wrote as "Limited regex support in newlib cripples
> syntax highlighting in nano"
>> Cygwin regex.h implementation doesn't support some special sequences,
>> for example \< (beginning of word), \> (end of word) and \b (word
>> boundary). This causes a usability bug with the nano editor, which
>> uses these sequences extensively in most of its syntax highlighting
>> rules.
>
> Posix regex is much faster then perl-style pcre regex. Syntax
> highlighter usually prefer fast over complete. So the term "crippled"
> should be used with care.
>
> See e.g. http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html - Regular
> Expression Matching Can Be Simple And Fast (but is slow in Java, Perl,
> PHP, Python, Ruby, ...)  - which complains about the typical POSIX
> spencer implementation also.

Interesting paper!

Judging from the linked efficient implementations, it could be
interesting to have TRE library <http://laurikari.net/tre/> in Cygwin.

But judging from our own "man regexp" it should already have
back-references (??):
"Regexec is largely insensitive to RE complexity except that back
references are massively expensive."