Kaspersky reports WORM in Coreutils 6.7-1 and 6.7-2

John Sellers jks_nospam@sellers.com
Tue Sep 16 10:01:00 GMT 2008

(I am VERY tired right now so any I typed here might have typos.)
Today I ran a scan with Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, and it
reported that a couple of files in the install\cygwin directories were
infected by Net_Worm.win32.sassor.be.

My system is WindowsXP Media edition

These were:

C:\install\cygwin\package\http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin\release\coreutils\coreutils-6.7-1.tar.bz2
C:\install\cygwin\package\http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin\release\coreutils\coreutils-6.7-2.tar.bz2

and more specifically:

  coreutils-6.7-2//user/bin/gkill.exe

I know these are old releases so I am assuming everything is OK.  I
deleted these to tar files and I assume that won't hurt my
installation.  right?