slow filesystem access mc start take sometimes 1 sec sometimes upto 7 sec or sometimes more

Fri Sep 19 23:35:00 GMT 2008

Bernd Roesch wrote:
> Hello Larry
>
> On 18.09.08, you wrote:
>
> I test always 4-5 times, so all that can go to cache should be in.
>
>>> Is there a way of logging to see what bash do this long time ?
>> Putting "set -x" in '/etc/profile' will make it spit out everything bash
>> does.  You might spot something that way.  If you need to go further,
>
> thanks for your good help.
>
> it hang after the output
>
> ++ id -ng
>
> then after 1-7 seconds the bash cursor come.
> when i type in
> id -ng
> in bash  then it is allways fast and print out
> Kein
> (its the german word for no)
> maybe the scripts dont like german words ?
> I dont know wy it print out german word, the program have english help text
> and is in/bin dir for cygwin.
> maybe my german windows send this word ?
>
> i find now out(test over 10 times), the hang on this command is much
> shorter, when i deactivate wlan

'id -ng' shouldn't need to access the Internet.  However, I did a quick
Google search and unearthed this:

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=%22id+-ng%22+slow+site%3Acygwin.com&btnG=Search>

Perhaps that's something to check.  Although the findings are the reverse of
what's expected from BLODA, it's BLODA just the same.  Does this fit your
case?

Holliston, MA 01746