[1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-45

Stephan Mueller Stephan.Mueller@microsoft.com
Thu Apr 2 17:45:00 GMT 2009

On Apr  2 16:59, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
" 2. Use the environment variable setting of LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG at
"    the moment the console is opened the first time and then never
"    change this setting again until the console is closed again.
"
" 3. Change rlogin to call setlocale(LC_ALL, ""); at the start of
"    main.
"
" Solution 3 seems not feasible.  I'm leaning towards solution 2.  Does
" anybody know a reason why we should prefer solution 1?  Does anybody
" have another solution?

How about 2, with a background effort towards 3 for each of the
relevant apps -- just push the setlocale call upstream based on
the Good Idea aspect.  Someday, (at this point in the Cygwin
1.7-to-1.9 transition, perhaps :-) the norm will be for remote
connection apps to call setlocale, 2 can be removed if desired,
and any apps that still break may be considered broken -- to be
fixed with a setlocale(), just like all the now well-behaved
apps which set the precedent due to the effort started now?

stephan();