[1.7]: /usr/bin/install fails on network drives

A.R. Burgers a.rburgers@quicknet.nl
Thu Apr 2 21:01:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen schreef:

 >> Are these Samba shares by any chance?  I can reproduce this only
 >> for Samba shares, not for remote Windows NTFS drives.
 >
 > Oh, btw., install works fine for me, only mv complains with "failed to
 > preserve ownership".  Your above example also doesn't show any error on
 > install...

I've tried several shares. Only on one of them I get an
error with install:

> //ecn/groups/g_zon_software/cygwin17/zz3.txt
> install: setting permissions for
> `//ecn/groups/g_zon_software/cygwin17/zz3.txt': Permission denied

When I look at the properties of this share it says it uses DFS
(Distributed File System). This drive shows the access bits
as -rwxrwxrwx, the others have -rw-r--r--

with all of them I see the Permission Denied on mv.
I have to ask our administrators for more details.

> I have an idea why this occurs, at least in my configuration.
> My Linux user account under which files are stored is not equivalent
> to my Active Directory account since I'm not running winbind.
>
> Are you using a winbind mapping from Windows SID to uid/gid?

One of my shares is a hosted on a unix system with a different
account, I'm not sure whether winbind is run. On this share, I have the
mv issue only.