Promoting cygwin system to member server

Fri Apr 3 07:14:00 GMT 2009

Michael T. Davis wrote:

> We have a standalone server running Windows Server 2003 SP2.  We would like
> to promote it to a member server in an existing Windows domain.  Will this
> affect how cygwin accounts are managed and maintained?  We want to preserve
>  the functionality of the existing local accounts, and be able to continue
> to manage them (add, remove, etc.) so that the users can continue to use
> cygwin (esp. the SSH server) independent of the Windows domain.  (In fact,
> we don't want domain users to access the system via cygwin's SSH server,
> only local users.)

  I can't say for sure but advise caution.  I once installed Cygwin as a local
machine user on a non-domain machine which I then joined to a domain and found
some screwy perms settings, but I just fixed them and got on with what I was
doing rather than investigate, so I don't even know whether it was related.
That was on a simple install with no services set up; your arrangement is more
complex.  The best advice I can give in the circumstances is to use a system
imaging (or other backup) tool, try it, and test thoroughly.

> we don't want domain users to access the system via cygwin's SSH server,
> only local users.)

  That bit should be easy; just don't use the -d option when generating
/etc/{passwd,group} and don't add their keys to the sshd authorized keys file.

    cheers,
      DaveK