All clear [was Re: [1.7]: For the love of god, don't update!]

Tue Apr 7 05:44:00 GMT 2009

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:08:33PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> We rehashed all of this years ago.  IIRC, some configuration scripts
>>> actually look for symbols explicitly in the libraries.
>> Hmm, too bad.  So it was a naive thought.
>
> I think I had the same thought while resisting the whole concept of
> speclib.
>
> Maybe I should have resisted harder.

  I think there's a strong argument that those configuation scripts are doing
a very wrong thing in that they're trying to second-guess internal
implementation details of the operating environment.  If you remember, was
there a good reason why they couldn't answer the same questions solely using
link tests?  Grepping through library symbols seems quite fragile when so many
standard C library functions are permitted to be implemented as macros.

    cheers,
      DaveK