cron does not do anything

Tue Apr 21 23:50:00 GMT 2009

Ting Zhou wrote:

> The first problem, yes, I was a bit impatient and should've waited one
> more minute. It seems crontab change does take more than one minute to be
> effective. Once I changed it to "* * * * *", I saw an error message in
> /var/log/messages saying "(CRON) error (can't cd to HOME)", which is the
> second problem. For the record, my cygwin auto-generated /etc/passwd
> shows my home dir to be "/cygdrive/h", which is an NT mounted share - not
> sure why is it set to that and why cron couldn't cd to it.

The answer to the former is that it's likely your Windows environment
defines HOME already as 'h:'.  See the FAQ link below for more info:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.home>

The answer to the latter can be found at the link below:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.shares>

Holliston, MA 01746