[openssh] service with domain user

Julio Costa costaju@gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 10:30:00 GMT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 18:28, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Well, PTC.  If you have a domain account, its rights are usually
> administered centralized.

Not here.

> Who are we to change the user rights locally
> for that user?  That's the responsibility of the admins.

Precisely. In this context, I'm Admin (the local one).

> And here's
> another problem in domain environments:  If the environment is using
> domain policies,

It isn't. Not for privileges, anyway.

> you might even be out of luck to set the user rights at
> all on your local machine.  Even in my tiny setup at home you would be
> unable to install a domain member machine and change cyg_server's rights.

Of course. It that particular scenario. But it isn't mine.
Just because there are cases in which the proposed implementation will
not work (and they are supposed to be that way), it's not a reason to
not implement for those folks who would, but they can't, just because
it's not implemented.

>> Actually I'm a bit surprised with the amount of (small, tiny,
>> amounting to a huge pile) problems that I've bumped into which are
>> most of the time related to the fact I'm using a domain user...
>
> Well, sorry about that.  You got what you paid for.  You're not the only
> domain user out there.  You're expecting something which just isn't
> there.  The script was meant to ease the installation for local users in
> the first place.  In corporate or governmental environments I don't
> expect the script to work OOTB.  The script will almost never meet the
> requirements exactly.

Ok, that's the current status.
That's precisely what I was asking with all this blahblah of mine.

>> [...rants deleted...]

Ok, sorry for the tone.
I now think that I was putting too much expectation on the wrong features.

> Again, these service installation scripts are a volunteer effort which
> many users are happy with.  Due to the complexity of different Windows
> installations they won't work smoothly in all environments.  Too bad the
> script doesn't fit your needs, but, as others, I have only so much time
> to work on that stuff.

Nobody is "accusing" of not working or anything... :)
The objective of this mail was simply to "sense" if the current status
regarding Cygwin vs domain users:
1) is expected to be that way (currently);
2) is desirable to change (in a more "compatible" way to domain users);

1) Is unquestionably answered: It is.
2) Apparently, by your argumentation, the answer is no. Nevertheless,
we can close this subject for now.
I will have to do something about this (for me, at least). It I found
it suitable for patching Cygwin, PTC. And then it's your call. No hurt
feelings or anything.

>> Regarding editrights, I think that there is a problem also.
>> Is the reported output in my previous email as expected?
>
> No.  The account is missing the other rights I talked about in my first
> reply.

I know that is missing rights. That's wasn't my question.
I'll try to rephrase: "Shouldn't the two 'editrights' commands, in the
given context, give the same output?"
Or, as an alternative question: "Why do the first 'editrights' command fails?"