SSH error: Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer

Sam Snitman ssnitman@yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 01:05:00 GMT 2009

Unfortunately rolling back the security changes does not seem to help.

Here is the latest sftp attempt:

>sftp -v ftpuser@65.38.96.67
Connecting to 65.38.96.67...
OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006
debug1: Connecting to 65.38.96.67 [65.38.96.67] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /d003/clarify/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /d003/clarify/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_4.1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_4.1 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: Host '65.38.96.67' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /d003/clarify/.ssh/known_hosts:6
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Trying private key: /d003/clarify/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Offering public key: /d003/clarify/.ssh/id_dsa
Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer
Connection closed

I asked the business user to resend me their public key and I have verified that it has the same entry as in our D:\cygwin\.ssh\authorized_keys file

 Our business partner is receiving the following when he tries to issue telnet 22 command:

natulapp040>telnet 65.38.96.67 22
Trying...
Connected to 65.38.96.67.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_4.1

I get the same result on our server when we issue the telnet localhost 22 command.  This seems to indicate that our Cywin sshd server is working properly. Can anyone confirm this?  Anyone know how I can start the logging on our Cygwin sshd server?

Thanks,
Sam