MS-DFSR conflict with cygwin file permissions

Stefan Walter stefan.walter@lisec-sw.com
Thu Apr 23 02:49:00 GMT 2009

Larry Hall (Cygwin) schrieb:
> Stefan Walter wrote:
>> If you redirect output in cmd.exe to a file (echo "Hello world..."
>>  >output.txt), then the file "output.txt" have the file permissions
>> inherited from the parent folder.
>>
>> If you redirect output in bash.exe to a file, then the file
>> permissions are restricted.
>>
>> I need this solved, because the current given permission conflict
>> with the Microsoft DFSr.
>>
>> Is there a way to create files with permissions inherited from parent
>> folder?
>
> Read the section about NT security in the User's Guide
> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html> and then try setting
> 'nontsec'
> in your CYGWIN environment variable
> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>.

That was a great hint.

I tried it now with "CYGWIN=nontsec tty" and the permission are as i
wanted it.

One more question with that. In the guides for "sshd" they always
recommend "CYGWIN=ntsec tty". Do you expect a problem if i run with nontsec?

Stefan