1.5.25: Intermittent hangs or network issues

Jim Marshall jim.marshall@wbemsolutions.com
Tue Apr 28 15:55:00 GMT 2009

I was using a previous version of cygwin (sorry don't know the version,
but I think it was last updated summer 2008?) without any issues. About
a month ago I ran cygwin setup to update my version to the latest. I did
have some issues with X, but I was able to remedy them by searching the
list and google.

Ever since that install I get random network connectivity issues (or
hangs) using SSH and cvs. Basically I issue a ssh command and sometimes
it will just sit there forever and I need to manually kill it (kill -9),
ctrl-c will not work. It seems to only happen to apps that access the
network (ssh & cvs. xemacs, ls are not affected). I do not think it is a
network issue as when ssh 'hangs' I can use putty without issue (and
when cvs 'hangs' I can use wincvs with no problem). Typically what
happens is I start cygwin and I can use ssh or cvs the first time. After
that it seems to be a 30% chance of working. Sometimes doing it over and
over it will eventually work.

I do not have any firewall software running, and I am using the free
version of AVG anti-virus.

Any thoughts on what might be happening or what I can do to debug this
further?

Thank you
Jim