GCC 4.4.0 - Can't activate threading support

Casull aphex001@hotmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:20:00 GMT 2009

Well actually, maybe saying that threading isn't activated is not the
correct way to describe my problem. I am basically trying to take advantage
of the C++0x implementation provided by GCC 4.4 through the <thread> header
for example. The GCC 4.4 implementation of std::thread is guarded by the
following preprocessing directive:

   #if defined(_GLIBCXX_HAS_GTHREADS) &&
defined(_GLIBCXX_USE_C99_STDINT_TR1)

When looking at the bits/c++config.h, _GLIBCXX_USE_C99_STDINT_TR1 is defined
but _GLIBCXX_HAS_GTHREADS isn't.

I know that GCC has its own implementation of threads called gthreads (that
std::thread relies on) which itself is a wrapper around POSIX threads (or
other flavours depending on configuration).

Either I am not passing the correct flags to GCC (in addition to the
-std=c++0x) or my installation of gcc is not correct, or last possibility,
my GCC build configuration is not correct.

Thanks,

O.