[1.7] Question: running from a portable drive

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Wed Apr 29 10:42:00 GMT 2009

I run both [1.5] and [1.7] off portable drives plugged into whatever
host machine I'm using. After what originally took a lot of messing
about involving DOS variables like %CD% and %CWD% and DOS startup batch
files, [1.5] is successfully mounted at each use and will run
successfully without needing to specify (or even know) the driveletter
that has been allocated by the host to the portable drive on which it is
installed.

With [1.7] things are different and at the moment I have an explicit
drive letter in my /etc/fstab which in full is:

m:/bin /usr/bin vfat binary 0 0
m:/lib /usr/lib vfat binary 0 0
none / cygdrive user,posix=0 0 0

and I take steps to ensure that the driveletter allocated by the host to
the portable drive on which [1.7] is installed is M:. This is fine on
"my" machines but is not always possible on others'.

Can I write /etc/fstab more generally so that [1.7], like [1.5], can be
made to run off a portable drive without needing to specify (or even
know) the driveletter allocated by the host to the portable drive?

Thank you.

Fergus