kerberos tools (kinit, etc) and kerberos-aware openssh in cygwin?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree@gmx.de
Wed Apr 29 12:01:00 GMT 2009

Am 28.04.2009, 18:23 Uhr, schrieb Chris Green <chris.h.green@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have searched through the main mailing list archives and not come up
> with anything that seems even partially relevant except perhaps a recent
> email regarding LSA which did not seem to address my exact question. Is
> it possible for Cygwin to include a kerberos implementation (MIT or
> Heimdal, for instance) along with kerberos support compiled into the
> main openssh package? Are there any issues here that I'm not aware of?
> I've tried to compile the MIT package a couple of times without success
> but I don't know how much work it would be to get it going?
>
> I am aware of several scientists in my field (particle physics research)
> who rely on Cygwin and their old method of "getting around" was a
> one-off compile of a very old version of ssh that now does not talk to
> modern sshd servers properly provided by someone on an as-is basis
> several years ago. The currently-packaged openssh would work just fine
> if it were compiled with a set of kerberos libraries.
>
> Any help or suggestions for alternatives or existing documentation
> gratefully received.

Hi Chris,

the best alternative I'm aware of and I have been using successfully for
some weeks now (to the extent possible in PuTTY, which has some rough
edges in Unicode and screen line drawing support) is a patched PuTTY
snapshot with MIT Kerberos support, courteously provided by Matthew Loar.
For details, please see <http://matthew.loar.name/software/putty/>.

HTH

--
Matthias Andree