Can cygwin boot faster?

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov
Thu Apr 30 11:28:00 GMT 2009

Lenik wrote on April 29, 2009, at 7:44 PM:
> I feel it has been slightly faster in cygwin-1.7 than cygwin-1.6. But
> it is still very slow compared to msys-1.10.  What does cygwin indeed
> execute when start up?

I found that bash-completion slowed startup a LOT.  If you have it, you
might try not using it and seeing if that makes a difference for you.

> If I try it on Linux, though the first always slower, but it's a lot
> faster then in cygwin.

I think that you'll find many statements in the archives from people
more knowledgeable than me that because it is an emulation layer on
top of Windows, cygwin is slower than Linux.  Please note that the
previous sentence may ascribe the slowness to TWO factors:
  (1) emulation layer, and
  (2) Windows.              :-)