1.5.25: Different users when using ssh

Thu Aug 6 17:10:00 GMT 2009

On 08/06/2009 12:52 PM, Göransson David wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to execute some scripts on a Win2003 R2 virtual machine via ssh. The problem is that the user running on the remote machine isn't what I expect.
>
> When running
>      ssh administrator@10.0.2.15 whoami
> it gives me
>      deployment-w2k3\cyg_server
>
> However, if I start with
>      ssh adminstrator@10.0.2.15
> and in the resulting shell write
>      whoami
> I get
>      Adminstrator
>
> I use public key authentication, which I have understood can create some problems, but it seems to me that since it works in the second case, it shouldn't have anything to do with that.
> Is there something to execute to change user, set user variables and such? I tried /etc/profile, but that didn't work.

No.  This is a limitation of the SSH under Cygwin 1.5.x.  You can try
Cygwin 1.7 <http://cygwin.com/#beta-test> which provides more options to
deal with the issue of public key authentication.  See
<http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview> for
details and
options.  "Method 2" is probably what you want.

Holliston, MA 01746