mintty doesn't run on NT4 due to lack of GetConsoleWindow

Jerry DeLisle jvdelisle@verizon.net
Fri Aug 7 04:31:00 GMT 2009

On 08/06/2009 08:02 AM, Stephan Mueller wrote:
> Andy Koppe wrote:
> " (And to be honest I don't see the point in Cygwin 1.7 still supporting
> " NT4. Anyone willing to stick with an OS that's been unsupported for
> " five years should be more than happy to stick with Cygwin 1.5.)
>
> Agreed, it seems a bit inconsistent, and yet I can think of at least two
> reasons a user might want an old Windows and a new Cygwin:
> - user is aiming for as Unixy an experience as possible with minimal
>    Windows interaction, hence always wants latest and greatest Cygwin
>    and hopes never to disturb the Windows OS underneath.
> - user is happy to upgrade Cygwin because of the price, but would
>    rather not upgrade Windows, because of the price.
>
> stephan();

I use NT4 because it is reliable, responsive, and available (I have it
already).  I use it to test patches for gfortran under Cygwin 1.7.  I
figure if it works under NT4 with basic win32 features it is a safe bet
it will work elsewhere. Maybe I am wrong, but it works for me.  I run in
VirtualBox on Linux (Linux being my preferred real OS)  I provide
binaries of gfortran (latest trunk) for Cygwin users as a courtesy and
to enable as broad a testing base as I can get for this Gnu software.  I
wish I could encourage more people to just move to Linux, but I am not
unrealistic about that.

Regards,

Jerry