[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.1.11-1

Fri Aug 14 18:16:00 GMT 2009

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> Actually, what I told above is nonsense anyway.  What I saw was the
>> flickering cmd window from a urxvt-X startup without run.  With run it
>> doesn't start at all for me on W7, unless I start it from an existing
>> console window.  And in that case it doesn't matter if the
>> CREATE_NO_WINDOW flag is given or not, it always takes 100% CPU.  So,
>> scratch that, it's no solution at all.
>
> Rats.  So much for a "good enough" workaround.

OK, the attached patch (on top of run-1.1.11) seems to correct the
problem in my testing.

For testing, I:
  1) used the W7 "workaround" code, even though I was using Vista.
  2) This caused 100% CPU
  3) then, adding the attached patch, I tried again (with the W7
"workaround" code still enabled) and did NOT see 100% CPU.

So, I'm hopeful that this fixes the problem for real, on W7.  However,
with one exception, the production version of 1.1.12 for <= WinXP will
continue to use the "old" code.  That exception is:

for WinXP and above, I forcibly enabled the used "pipes" -- that is,
explicitly creating new Windows Handles and setting them up as the
child's stdio.  The reason for this is, even the "old" run code would
hit 100% CPU in the following scenario, on WinXP:

   1) from a bash prompt in a cmd window
   2) run urxvt-X.exe -display 127.0.0.1:0.0

gave 100% CPU, although launching urxvt-X from a shortcut using the same
invocation did not do so.  With this small change, that problem is
corrected, too.

Corinna, can you give this a try? (I'm happy to send you a compiled
version of the modified run.exe if that helps).

--
Chuck