Building the Linux 2.6.30 kernel under Cygwin 1.7 almost works out of the box

Stephen M. Kenton skenton@ou.edu
Sun Aug 16 01:01:00 GMT 2009

I wanted to try the case sensitivity feature of 1.7 on ntfs so I tweaked
the registry key and tried a kernel build.

Using the stock 1.7 tools I build a couple of cross tool chains with
binutils-2.19.1 and gcc 4.4.1 from source tar balls.

Using the cross tool chains I successfully built defconfig 2.6.30
kernels for i386 and arm.

The only hack was to add these includes for use by modpost to modpost.h
between the include of elf.h and elfconfig.h

There were also a few redefinition warnings, but they seemed to be
benign - but I have not boot tested the kernels.

scripts/mod/modpost.h

#include <elf.h>
#define R_386_32        1
#define R_386_PC32      2