No etc/passwd (was) Re: (everything!) command not found

DY yarringt@agora-net.com
Sun Aug 16 16:56:00 GMT 2009

in cygwin, if I go to /etc there is no passwd.  I'm definitely in cygwin.
My prompt is bash-3.2$
Oh, and there's no profile in /etc either.  (or a .bash_profile, for
that matter).
Should that have been created automatically?

So it's pretty clear I did something fundamentally wrong in setup?  Any
idea what?
I basically went to the cygwin page, picked "install now", downloaded
setup.exe,
right-clicked on it and chose "run as administrator", then ran it,
picked to install perl,
python, devel, the vim editor, and x11, and then let'er rip.   I tried
it without running
as administrator, but that didn't work any better and left me with all
the files being
read only.

Thanks!!!
-Debra