1.7.0-58 fixes fork crash in 1.7-compiled app running on 1.5

Martin Dorey mdorey@bluearc.com
Sun Aug 16 20:54:00 GMT 2009

-58 fixed a repeatable crash I was seeing in fork on every machine on
which I ran a particular big hairy application
(http://software.jessies.org/terminator).  Nothing new there, so I only
spam you with my thanks because the machines in question were all
running 1.5, though the executable was compiled with 1.7.  I didn't
notice that symptom reported previously.  I'd got as far as proving that
the problem didn't happen in -50 and did in -51 through -57 inclusive.
I was hoping to pin the change in behavior more conclusively on Dave
Korn's big memory allocation check-in of 2009-07-07, which I believe was
between -50 and -51, before reporting it.  This is somewhat contrary to
Corinna's statement in the -58 announcement that the problem was
introduced in -49.