default encoding (was: Re: GNU screen hangs)

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 20:02:00 GMT 2009

Tuomo Valkonen:
> I have LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8, of course. And still Xlib fails.

Oh well. Someone more knowledgeable about X will need to step in here.

> I think the Python interpreter should call setlocale,
> instead of having Python programs themselves do it,
> because it is half-an-OS and does lots of character
> set mangling, that Python software shouldn't have to
> be aware of.

C programs have to call it themselves too, so it wouldn't be
unreasonable to expect Python programs to do the same. I guess the
important thing is that it's defined one way or the other. I've got no
idea whether it is.

Sorry, not very helpful.

Andy