how to get the windows PATH env in cygwin

Reinier Post rp@win.tue.nl
Tue Dec 1 15:38:00 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 07:40:51PM -0600, Jeremy Bopp wrote:

[...]

> If you want to see the Windows PATH setting unmolested by Cygwin, you
> will either need to strip out the additions set by /etc/profile or avoid
> running under an environment modified by /etc/profile.

It doesn't add, actually - it replaces it.

A few weeks ago I got fed up with Cygwin not being able to find my
Windows executables and wrote a script to add all directories with
*.exe files to the $PATH.  (It runs overnight with cron.)
This leads to a strange effect: the resulting $PATH is so long (over 2800
chars) that, although it successfully locates many Windows executables,
attempts to run them fail with an error message:

% dot -h
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Graphviz/bin/dot: Message too long.

Workaround:

% env - "`which dot`" -h

Other than that it works well.  (This is Cygwin 1.5.)

--
Reinier Post
TU Eindhoven