nasm -- what format does cygwin use?

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Sat Dec 5 09:44:00 GMT 2009

Dave Korn wrote:
> Tim Prince wrote:
>> If running inside cygwin, you let the cygwin developers make the choice,
>> which the binutils as will select automatically (PE-i386?).
---
	They didn't choose, or I wouldn't be asking the question.
The util and build are using different names with 'flavors' for variations
on the basics.

>   Linda, my reading of the "nasm -hf" output suggests you'd want the win32
> output format.  If you check the generated .o files it using "objdump -h" you
> should see "file format pe-i386", which is right.  After you've got .o files,
> you'll still need to link them; hopefully your makefiles will work with
> cygwin's LD easily enough.
---
	win32 was my guess as well.  Since the prior choice when this thing
was build for cygwin was gnuwin, (gnu on windows), I was pretty sure that
has to be something like win32.

	I knew Eric Blakes answer was hopelessly unhelpful and just trying
to wind me up since PE-coff isn't even on the list (though coff is), but
that would be too generic if the previous name was something as specific as
gnuwin, but win32...well that give a win32 object.  Which is sorta what
cygwin links with I think...just not the win32 libraries.  For COFF, it
describes that as being used by DJGPP for DOS, and that just sounds way
different.

 	Well, all I can do as try, at least I have a reasoned plurality
at this point, which among programmers working with windows (let alone
a *nix environment on windows like cygwin...) is saying something...:-)
Who knows if it will work.

I was jut trying to build the unix version
of 7z on cygwin, since the cygwin version I have installed doesn't work
due to a missing library -- dunno what happened to the file, but something
under a 'codec' subdir in /usr/lib/p7zip/Codecs was being referenced, and
that dir's empty.  But I also noticed I have the windows version in
/prog64/7-zip, which has the added bonus of being notably faster as it's
64-bit native code.  But it would be nice to have the same utils on my linux
and cygwin.

Thanks for the reasoned and thoughtful answer (whether it's right or
wrong) :-)
-linda