[1.7] Possible dynamic linker error

Tue Dec 8 19:43:00 GMT 2009

Charles Plager wrote:

> libraries were compiled by me on the same machine using gcc4.3.4).  When
> looking at the problem using GDB, it says it is now going to jump to
> subroutine A (finishConstruction()), but instead jumps to subroutine B
> (edm::ValueMap<double>::operator+=).

  This could be just the ordinary sort of thing that goes on when you compile
with optimisation (and hence inlining) turned on.  It looks from the earlier
lines like it's just constructed a std::map as part of the PluginFactory or
PluginFactoryBase constructors, so if that edm::ValueMap is a derivation of
std::map it might well be that finishConstruction() is correctly invoking the
+= operator to append an item, and gdb is showing you the source of the
inlined operator function.

  So I think first thing you need to do is figure out if maybe it's actually
going the right code path, and has gotten something wrong with the value of j.
 Check the value of $eip before and after that final step command and find out
exactly where you're running.

    cheers,
      DaveK