UTF-8 in Cygwin console on 1.7

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Dec 8 22:58:00 GMT 2009

Andy Koppe schrieb:
> 2009/12/8 Cliff Hones:
>
>> Perhaps setup.exe should offer to generate a shortcut (as well as .bat
>> and .ico) with, say, the Lucida font selected?
>>
> Or just do so without asking? ...
Yes it should. As I understood, however, this is not immediately easy
because the format this information is stored by Windows shortcuts is
not completely reverse-engineered.

> We've had a number of questions on this
> already, and there are likely to be many more. People can always
> choose the raster font in the properties if they prefer that.
>

>> I have just checked Cygwin 1.5 and this aslo mishandles NUL, so I guess
>> it is a long-standing problem (or Microsoft oddity, or workaround for
>> something else...).

I would not say it's mishandled. Different terminals handle NUL
differently, and you can also see differences in other control
characters. E.g. some are displayed as their VGA symbols by cygwin console.
Since control characters are not considered printable and most special
functions they originally had are obsolete nowadays, I would mostly
consider their display undefined.

> I don't know what the story behind that is, but a (trivial) fix is
> attached. It also changes the handling of SI (0xF) in the same way.

SO and SI are also changed by my console enhancements patch (posted
these days to cygwin-patches) to switch VT100 graphics mode.

Thomas