[1.7] hard link error on FAT32 with zsh

Mon Dec 14 12:34:00 GMT 2009

On Dec 14 13:22, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * Corinna Vinschen (Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:58:29 +0100)
> > On Dec 11 21:36, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was testing the latest 1.7 DLL snapshot (1.7.2s(0.218/5/3) 20091209
> > > 12:02:30) and the current 1.7 one (that you get from setup-1.7.exe). I
> > > am starting zsh and get the following error: "zsh: failed to create hard
> > > link as lock file /home/thorsten/.zhistory.LOCK: operation not
> > > permitted".
> > >
> > > This relates to the following setting in .zshrc: "HISTFILE=~/.zhistory".
> > > Zsh starts but no history is available. Cygwin is located on a FAT32
> > > thumb drive.
> >
> > That's why.  FAT32 does not support hardlinks.
>
> Well, then why don't I get this error with the latest 1.5 DLL? It's the
> same thumb drive, the same installation...
>
> I used to test 1.7 DLLs and in some snapshot the error was introduced.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.  Hardlinks on FAT don't exist.  They
have been faked in 1.5 by copying the file.  The decision was made a
coupld of weeks back to drop this fake since the application should know
that the underlying filesystem is not capable of creating hardlinks.
It's in the mail archive and in the "What's new" section of the User's
Guide.

Corinna

Red Hat