rsync no longer preserves extended ASCII characters after 1.7 upgrade

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam@rosi-kessel.org
Mon Dec 28 03:56:00 GMT 2009

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote, on 12/27/2009 10:41 PM:
> I'm running cygwin on a WinXP system with an NTFS-formatted drive. I
> have a script that regularly backs up using rsync onto a Linux system
> (Debian) with an ext3 drive.
>
> Before the recent major upgrade, all extended ASCII characters were
> preserved perfectly without any special rsync switches. E.g., é stayed
> as é (assuming that character will survive this mailing list post --
> accented e).
>
> Now, all accented characters appear as ? on the target linux system.

Actually, this is a little more complicated than I thought. When I mount
the rsync target linux drive as a Samba share from the WinXP box, the
files appear to have the correct accents on the destination. But when I
view them from the linux box, they have scrambled accents -- either just
?'s if I use ls (must be a terminal issue), or different nonstandard
characters that aren't the right extended characters if I redirect the
output to a file and then view that.

I'm just trying to get back the behavior from before the upgrade. Thanks
for any suggestions.