1.7.1: Does 'chere' work with Vista 64b? Can't tell by me.

Lee D. Rothstein l1ee057@veritech.com
Mon Dec 28 23:23:00 GMT 2009

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>>> I've always found 'chere -i' works for me. I'd also recommend getting
>>> rid of
>>> 'c:\_0\local\Scripts\test'.
>>>
>> no such file!
>
> Your cygcheck output thinks there is:
>
>   Found: C:\_0\bin\test.exe
>   Warning: C:\_0\local\Scripts\test hides C:\_0\bin\test.exe
>   Found: C:\_0\bin\test.exe
>   Warning: C:\_0\local\Scripts\test hides C:\_0\bin\test.exe
>   Not Found: test
>
> Someone is confused here.  Based on cygcheck's and your conflicting
> statements, I can certainly say I am.

There is not now or at the time of my last look a 'test' file there.

$ cd /local/Scripts
$ ls -al  *test*
20 -rwxrwx---+ 1 lr root 20168 2009-11-12 18:20 colortest
 4 -rwxrwx---+ 1 lr root  1002 2009-11-12 23:11 test_redir
 4 -rwxr-xr-t+ 1 lr root   946 2009-04-04 14:43 var-dir_state_test
>> Larry, et al.,
>>
>> As my initial message indicates 'chere -i', run as Administrator results
>> in a non-working 'chere' install with the additional
>> weird properties indicated.
>
> OK, I only traced back as far as
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-12/msg00868.html>,
> which didn't specifically mention the simple 'chere -i' variant.  So I
> wanted to offer
> that as an incentive to try it if you hadn't.
>
>> Besides I want Mintty and Bash as the window, not the console.
>
> I wasn't recommending 'chere -i' over your preferred configuration.  I
> was just
> suggesting what I had success with in the past and that starting with the
> simple is usually a good way to troubleshoot problems.

Yes, I'm familiar with testing, and tried that second.

>> Are you running Vista 64bit? If not, I suspect the registry keys set in
>> Vista 64 are not correct as set by 'chere'.
>
> No, actually I'm not, so if you're sure it's a Vista 64bit thing, then
> that narrows
> the focus and those affected.  The closest I have is Windows 7 x64 but
> I can't
> experiment at the moment with it since it requires a reboot.

I had no problems with Vista 32 bit, that's my only evidence.