Problem with wildcard from Windows

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Wed Dec 30 18:08:00 GMT 2009

On 12/30/2009 10:18 AM, Bengt Larsson wrote:
>> Try "noglob" if your shell is not Cygwin-aware.
>
> Eh? The problem is that it doesn't glob when it should. The shell is
> standard CMD.EXE, ie Windows console.

The behavior you're relying on is a nonstandard Cygwin extension which
most Cygwin users, I dare say, don't even use themselves.  It's an
emulation of a feature all POSIX shells have, internal globbing.
cmd.exe doesn't provide globbing services to programs it runs, so Cygwin
by default ("CYGWIN=glob") tries to do this for you, but it appears
there are weaknesses.

Another thing that doesn't work:

	c:\> echo W*

This should give "Windows" at least.

What I'm having trouble understanding is why you've installed Cygwin but
then insist on sticking with the primitive cmd.exe shell.  Your globbing
problem will go away if you switch to one of the many shells in the
Cygwin package repository.