1.7.1: Mintty/bash window start: -bash: regtool: command not found

Dave Trollope dtrollope@29west.com
Thu Dec 31 00:53:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

I too have seen this behaviour on both my work and home systems. Whats
interesting is I ran cygcheck -c on each when exhibiting this problem
and it said OK for the cygwin package.

Is there a check that needs to be added to cygcheck which reports this
as a problem? Or perhaps this is not the type of problem cygcheck is
designed to detect?

Cheers
Dave

On 12/28/2009 12:07 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> On 12/23/2009 3:15 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
>>
>> I can reproduce this as follows:
>>
>> - Leave a Cygwin session open.
>> - Run setup.exe
>> - Select reinstall for cygwin-1.7.1-1.
>> - Click next
>> - "in-use files detected" appears
>> - Click retry.
>
> I saw the same symptom, but by a slightly different path.
>
> On updating from 1.7.0.68 to 1.7.1 this morning, I ran into the
> files-in-use case because sometime last week, Xwin.exe died horribly
> and left a UI-less process running in the background.  When setup.exe
> complained, I investigated with Task Manager, found Xwin.exe still
> hanging around, killed it, and told setup.exe to move along.  It
> completed without complaint, but I still didn't end up with a regtool.
>
> I didn't check for ps or mount, just retried setup with a forced
> Cygwin package reinstall, and that worked.
>
> Point being, it isn't necessary to lie to setup.exe, telling it it's
> okay to try again.  It *was* okay in my case, and it still did the
> wrong thing.
>
>> It can be fixed by reinstalling the cygwin package again, this time
>> without any Cygwin processes running.
>
> Confirmed.
>
> --

                      David Trollope