Finding either boot time or login time

Owen Rees owen.rees@hp.com
Mon Feb 2 17:37:00 GMT 2009

--On 02 February 2009 11:54 -0500 Cooper, Karl \(US SSA\) wrote:

> I don't know perl, but I did try both of these one-liners on my
> Cygwin 1.7 setup, and the output differs (by one second).  I thought
> that was interesting.

I get a one second difference between the two formulae as well (due to the
use of 'int' in one but not the other) but that is insignificant compared
to the 1 hour and 43 minutes by which both are wrong (and that is since
rebooting at 08:57 this morning).

As far as I can tell, uptime does not include time spent in hibernation (or
suspend/sleep probably).

A little web searching suggests that not counting sleep time is probably
consistent with recent Linux behaviour.

I also noticed that the Windows Vista 'systeminfo' command gives the same
wrong answer for "System Boot Time".

--
Owen Rees; speaking personally, and not on behalf of HP.