cydwin not starting - cygreadline6.dll missing

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Feb 5 16:11:00 GMT 2009

Luca.Maltagliati@aero.jussieu.fr wrote:

> I installed cydwin (I have windows XP (SP3)) with the setup.exe, adding
> only the openssh to the basic.

I don't suppose you tried, first, to install Cygwin 1.7, then later
installed 1.5?  If so, this and other bad things will happen.  See:

The fix is to go back through setup.exe, and do a forced reinstall of
bash, libreadline, and libncurses, at minimum.

Either that, or totally nuke your 1.7 attempt and retry the 1.5 install
from scratch.

> Searching the package list gave me back zero results

That's weird.  I can confirm.  It should give you libreadline6-*.  Maybe
there's something broken with the package indexer.